Engage in your employees and boost productivity
I created this template 2012 and I believe it is a great start for an employee assessment. This is what you do:
- Talk to your employee and say that you would like to do an employee assessment. Explain that you would like to get a deeper understanding of your employees career objectives and goals
- Schedule a 2 hour meeting with the employee
- Send below assessment template to the employee at least one week before the meeting and explain that you need to get a reply at least 48 hours before the meeting
- When you get the assessment back make sure to read it through carefully
- Before the meeting prepare by thinking through how you can help the employee reaching career goals and objectives
- At the meeting go thru the written assessment and make sure to ask a lot of questions and listen to what the employee says. Make sure not to interupt or speak to much
- At the end of the 2 hour assessment make sure to make a conclusion of the most important points. Make sure to provide feedback how the employee can improve and get better
- After the meeting create a plan of what is the best actions to help your employee
- Communicate and discuss your plan with the employee
- Action the final plan
I hope that you find good use of my template. Please come with feedback if you have suggestions how the process and the template can be improved.
Employee Assessment Template
Preparation for Personal Review
Employee Name: ______________________________
Job Title: _____________________________
Some information before you start
- The purpose of this personal review document is to help you and your manager to think thru your current situation before you start to have your review. Experience shows that this document increases the value of the personal review session.
- Before the personal review always think about where you would like to be in the organization. Maybe your manager doesn’t know what your dreams are and what you would like to work with. Make sure to clearly communicate what you want to work with.
- The questions below are voluntary and if there is a question you don’t want to fill in you don’t have to.
- Please always make sure to schedule at least 2 hours for your personal review. It takes time to go thru all the questions below.
Please respond to the following questions:
1) How do you look upon the year that just passed, both from a personal and company perspective?
2) How have you developed in your role? Have you achieved set goals and worked to reach your own ambitions? Give feedback to each other on the following during the meeting: Communication, Decision making, Power to act, Encouragement, etc.
3) Discuss the company goals. Do you know them? Do they feel attractive and relevant? What do they imply for your position?
4) What do you like most about your job?
5) What do you like least about your job?
6) What would you like to see changed/improved?
7) What are your career objectives? Do you have any long term plans for your career or personal life that we should take into account? What competences and activities would be needed to get there?
8) What are your tasks today?
9) What tasks would you like to do if you could choose anything?
10) How can we help you to like your job more?
11) What feedback would you like to give to your manager? What is done well and what could be improved. Please consider things like management style, feedback, culture, etc.
12) Describe things that you have done well. Describe specific examples of your best work, your achievements and positive contributions to the organisation.
13) Things to do even better. Describe anything you would like to improve, change or learn so that you can make an even more valuable contribution to the organisation.
14) Select one thing from the above question that you would like to work on and pick a priority. Describe the present situation. Don’t write a goal here, just describe what is happening now and give facts like who, where, when and how does it affects others?
15) Employees action plan. Describe what you will do to achieve the desired change , improvement or learning. What will you do and what is your goal? How will you do it? Describe the way the situation will be if your action plan is successful. When will you do these things? Try to be specific and realistic.
16) Please grade 1-5
- Your Salary
- Employee Benefits
- Your boss
- Your Job duties
- Job Safety
- Employee Facilities
- Employment Security
- Recognition of efforts
- Work Conditions
- Fair Treatment
17) Evaluation of this meeting. How did we experience this dialogue? Did it feel relevant? How did we communicate?
- Employee benefits – Benefits represent things that is not included in your salery but still is a benefit of being employed. Example insurnace, pension, healthcare benefit etc.
- Administration – The administration of a business consists of the performance or management of business operations and thus the making or implementing of a major decision. Administration can be defined as the universal process of organizing people and resources efficiently so as to direct activities toward common goals and objectives.
- Employee facilities – The office, kitchen, the room you are sitting in, etc.
Also published on Medium.